Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sugar Showpiece

Was given the task of making an aquatic themed sugar showpiece. I had a make of 15 hours for everything. I finished in 13. I did an homage to the Tampa sea life that included a dolphin, sea turtles, devil ray, and horseshoe crabs. I mostly made the piece out of isomalt since the humidity of Miami would have killed all my delicate pieces. I only used sugar for the base since it would be thick enough to not be effected. I made the sand out of brown and sanding sugar, as well as white and black sesame seeds with a little bit of cinnamon and course nutmeg...it smelled so good.

The column represent the saltwater, with the blue curls to represent the waves. I added sea grasses and corals as fillers, and made rocky coral out of hot isomalt and royal icing. Then I added color using an airbrush.




No comments:

Post a Comment